Sunday, May 27, 2012

Time to say Woo Hoo!

I am exhausted. I slept 10 hours last night and I feel like I could sleep for 10 more. I absolutely love my new job and it's so rewarding. I'm working at an ALF with approximately 75 residents, 50 of which I pass medications to twice during my 8 hour shift. Needless to say, I run my ass off. There are some moments where I feel it's impossible, but it gets done.

The management is in shambles at best and the turnover of the nurses is high. The woman who has senority in our position graduated 6 months before me from the same program and shes been at this place for 2 months, also her first nursing job. I've made a personal commitment to stay there for a minimum of a year, I've got nothing but time right now and could really use the distraction.

So far, it's looking like I'm going to have every other weekend off but that can change at any time. I'm almost finished "training" if you could call it that, she leaves early most nights and I'm left to finish up everything on my own. I love most of the staff there, but like always - there is one pain in the ass who you just have to put up with. The residents are fantastic and are already getting used to seeing me. Geriatrics is exactly where I belong right now.

I went to my first weekend meeting last night in almost 4 years and met a few new people, saw some people I already knew, and got to hear a fantastic speaker share a great message of recovery. One thing she said that really resonated with me was how she described God's answers. Usually, it's yes, no, or not right now. But she phrased it as, yes, not right now, and I have something better planned for you. She was amazing to listen to and spoke with such eloquence that I wasn't ready for her to be finished when the hour was up.

I can't wait to get settled into my new routine and get everything in order. I don't expect it to happen over night, but I'm so ready to just move on with my life. I'm excited about everything around me these days and it feels so good to have such a positive attitude!

3 comments:

  1. A pain-in-the-ass co-worker might be the best teacher you can have.
    Stay open-minded.

    Check in more often, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always here. Just completely exhausted at the moment. Thanks for checking in on me! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your blog. you sound like an inspirational person very attuned to life and its dilemmas! I am a daughter of an alcoholic and will be looking for a meeting to go to. MY son needs to go to AA but is in denial at this time. He has taken a lot of wrong roads but apparently thinks hes not AA bound. So who knows, I need some support though.

    ReplyDelete